Signs your pool may have a leak:
•The pool filter has air in the system.
•The equipment loses its prime.
•Cracks are apparent.
•Pool coping is sinking or lifting.
•There are soggy spots around the pool.
•You have to add water more than once a week.
•Water loss is greater than regular evaporation.
If you think your pool may be leaking, the first step is to determine wether or not the cause could just simply be evaporation.
It is not unusual to lose 2 inches of pool water over a seven day period during warm windy conditions.
Test your pool for a leak with the Bucket Test.
The "Bucket Test" will determine if water loss in a pool is due to evaporation or a leak:
1. Bring pool water to normal level.
2. Fill bucket with pool water to about 3 cm from top.
3. Place bucket on first or second step of pool.
4. Mark water level on inside of bucket.
5. Shut off pump and mark pool level on outside of bucket.
6. Resume normal pump operation.
7. After 24 hours, compare the two levels. If the pool water (outside mark) goes down more than the inside water level, there is probably a leak.
In case of rain, repeat the test.